After having a look at the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disorder, now its time to check the daily lifestyle changes that can create an impact on your daily life and heal the thyroid.
• The thyroid controls metabolism, which can cause weight loss or weight gain depending on your thyroid disease.
• Small, frequent meals should be consumed throughout the day composed of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, whole wheat, and healthy fats to combat excess weight loss or weight gain.
• At each meal, including snacks, aim to fill half of your plate with fruits and vegetables.
• Drink water consistently throughout the day to stay well hydrated.
• Probiotics are defined as good bacteria that are found in naturally fermented foods or capsule form as a supplement.
• Probiotics are encouraged for two reasons when dealing with thyroid disorders.
• First, Hashimoto’s and Graves disease are both thyroid-related autoimmune conditions. Autoimmunity is characterized by the body attacking itself due to systemic, long-term inflammation. The gut houses a large portion of the immune system, and probiotics, along with a healthy diet, help heal the gut, decrease inflammation, and put good bacteria back into your digestive tract.
• Secondly, probiotics promote proper digestion, which can be altered due to thyroid conditions. To combat constipation or diarrhea, try supplementing with a probiotic to regulate your digestion.
• Due to the hormonal imbalance found in thyroid conditions, it is imperative to be conscious of not only what you are consuming, but also what you are absorbing topically through substances called endocrine disruptors.
• A few common endocrine or hormone disruptors that you should be aware of:
• BPA-found in plastic
• Pesticides- found in soil & water
• Parabens-found in deodorant and polyester fibers.
• People with thyroid conditions are more prone to fatigue and at times may experience insomnia, but regardless, it is of utmost importance to get a full 8 hours of sleep each night.
• Be aware of routines that disrupt sleep patterns such as TV, phone usage, and caffeine intake before bedtime.
• Anxiety and depression are frequently seen in those with thyroid dysfunction.
• To combat these mood disturbances, practice meditation, yoga, or other forms of self-care.
• The above lifestyle modifications are essential to a balanced, healthy life, but it cannot be stressed enough that these suggestions will only be successful when combined with proper medication management.
• It is your responsibility to take your medication as prescribed by your physician to avoid life-threatening complications.
In conclusion, thyroid conditions are something that should be taken seriously, but you should not be discouraged by this diagnosis because you have the power to affect change. This change can come through educating yourself about your medical conditions and taking your health into your own hands through lifestyle modifications and medication management.
To receive further support and to discuss your thyroid condition with the best thyroid doctor in Pakistan, go to Shifa4U and talk with a physician today. You can also get yourself tested for thyroid from top labs of Pakistan at the comfort of your home.
Call us 042-111-748-748 or contact us on whatsapp 0324 7443248